Brightspace by D2L Email/Internal Messaging
Instructors will also have access to Brightspace’s internal messaging service. Note that this is a separate account from your CCCOnline, CCCS.edu system email. Most instructors use the internal messaging service to stay in touch with students in their classes since students are able to access this account inside the Brightspace platform. Therefore, they don’t have to access a separate website or email account to read messages from their instructors.
CCCOnline (CCCS.edu) Email Account
CCCOnline instructors are issued a system email with the extension @cccs.edu upon hiring. Instructors will use this email when conducting any business with students and others on behalf of CCCOnline. It is important that faculty use their cccs.edu email account to be in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Acts [FERPA]. Note that this email account may be referred to as a “CCCOnline email”, “CCCS email”, or “system email”, but these names all refer to the same account.
- Do NOT set up your CCCS.edu account to forward to an outside email address. Once the email is forwarded to a non-CCCS.edu account you are not incompliance with FERPA.
- Your D2L internal email and your CCCS.edu email are different systems. They do not work together and have different logins.
- To access your CCCS.edu email on your mobile device, you will need to use the Outlook Web Access address.
How will I receive notification my email account is ready to use?
- For newly hired instructor, your email address will be issued once you have completed the appropriate training course, completion of your New Hire paperwork and a background check.
- Once your email address account is created by CCCS-IT, you will receive an email from the CCCOnline HR Liaison with the following information: your email address, log in credentials, how to log in, and your temporary password.
Who do I contact if I have questions about my CCCS.edu email account?
For assistance with password resets or other questions about your CCCS.edu email account, create a ProfHelp ticket.
The Profhelp ticket is located in the CCCOnline portal>Instructor tab>Instructor Gateway Widget>Instructor Assistance>Click ProfHelp CCCS E-Mail Request Form.
How do I access my CCCS. edu email via the Portal?
- Log in to the CCCOnline portal >Click the Fac/Staff email button in the top navigation menu bar.
The first time you access the Fac/Staff email in the portal you will need to configure the credentials. Subsequent logins will not require credentials unless your email password is expired.
Username: cccs\\S# [two backslashes are required]
Password: CCCS.edu email password [the password is NOT the same password as your portal password]
How do I access my CCCS. edu email /OWA via Web Browser?
- Open a Web browser of choice>in the address bar type– https://owa.cccs.edu
- Domain name: cccs\S# [one backslash is required]
- Password: XXXXX [the password is NOT the same password as your portal password]
How Do I Change My CCCS.edu Email Password
If your password has expired, you will need to submit a ProfHelp CCCS E-Mail Request Form, which can be found in CCCOnline portal >Instructor tab>Instructor Gateway Widget>Instructor Assistance folder for a password reset. Currently, you cannot change your password unless you log into OWA.
- Log in to your CCCS email using OWA, https://owa.cccs.edu
Click the Options icon at the top right of the screen>Choose Change Your Password
2. From the Change Password window enter your current password, new password and confirm your new password [Note: Use the password guidelines below when selecting your new password]
3. Click Save.
CCCS Email Passwords expire every 6 months.
NOTE: If you try to login three times unsuccessfully, your account will automatically lock. You will be required to wait a minimum of 30 minutes before you can try again.
What is the maximum file size for attachments for CCCS Email?
When attaching a file to your email the maximum file size is 3Mb.
How will I know when my password is about to expire?
On a PC, the expiration notice comes up 14 days before the password needs to be changed, while on a Mac, it comes up a full 30 days before it needs to be changed. You will begin to see a notification at the top of the Outlook Web Access [OWA] window prompting you to change your password, see screenshot below.
Note: If you are using a mobile device, you will not receive a password expiration notification.