Course tools, such as Quizzes, Content, Discussions, Chat, Grades, etc., are course components that you add to your course offering to share learning content, foster interaction, and evaluate performance. You can turn course tools on and off so that the tools available in your course are specifically tailored to your pedagogy and course materials. You can also rename tools and edit a tool’s help text.
Access the Tools page
Do one of the following:
- Click Edit Course on the navbar, then click Tools.
- Click Tools in the Course Administration widget on your course homepage.
Activate or deactivate a tool
- From the Tools list, in the Status column, Click the button to the right of the checkmark to turn Tools to the “Off” status (the indicator will show an “X” for off) and vice-versa to change a Tool’s status to “On” (the indicator shows a checkmark for “On”).
- Click Save.
- Groups or Pager tool cannot be removed from your Course Navigation Menu.
- If your course uses Rubrics. Both the Rubrics and Competencies tool need to be set to the “On” status.
- There is a delay before links to tools appear (when activated) or disappear (when deactivated) from the Course Navigation menu. Try logging out and clearing your browser cache to refresh the menu. Sometimes closing and restarting the browser is necessary.
- NEVER TURN THESE TOOLS OFF: Calendar, Classlist, Content, Discussions, EExternal Learning Tools, Grades, Import/Export/Copy Components, IMS Configuration, Insights Portal, Intelligent Agents, Links, LOR, Media Integration, announcement, Question Collections, User Profile, and User Progress.
- Important: Do NOT set the Status to “Off” a tool that has a link in Content.
Restore a tool’s default state
On the Tools page, select the tool and click Reset Default at the top or bottom of the list.
Note: Deactivating a tool does not delete any items or user data inside the tool, it simply hides the tool from your course offering. If you turn the tool back on, it restores the data.
Before disabling a tool, be aware of the following:
- Release Conditions based on the tool are not enforced as long as the tool remains disabled.
- Competency activities associated with the tool are hidden, but are still associated with any learning objectives to which they are attached. Users cannot complete these learning objectives while the tool is disabled. You should detach or delete any activities associated with a tool before disabling the tool.
- Grade items associated with the tool remain, but you must manually update them in the grade book.
- Quicklinks to the tool’s items persist but a “No Resource Found” message is displayed when they are followed. You should remove any related Quicklinks when you deactivate a tool. You may not be able to delete others’ Quicklinks.